Thursday 18 June 2015

Pedlar's Bridge

Smeaton Lane, Coombe Fields

Restored Medieval Pack Horse Bridge


It is amazing what is hidden from view when you drive down
country lanes near Coventry.  On Smeaton Lane is such an example:
this stone bridge that crosses Smite Brook.


The photo below is similar to a couple of others
I have found on the internet, except mine shows
a backlog of branches stuck under one of the arches.


No worries, I'm sure that rubble will be cleared in good time.

The research I have done suggests this bridge was originally built
in medieval times and used for travel to and from the village of Brinklow.  


Above is Smeaton Lane.  See those posts?  They have little
signs on them to designate foot and bridal paths.


Pedlar's Bridge is about 15 minutes drive from Coventry.

Think I might take a little break now.  
See you next week :)


7 comments:

Lowell said...

I have concluded you live in a photographic paradise! It ain't fair! :)) Such beauty abounds throughout Coventry.

Have a wonderful break!

William Kendall said...

What occurs to me is how very much this area would feel at home in Middle Earth. You half expect Bilbo to come across the bridge.

cieldequimper said...

This is so heavenly. I hadn't thought of Bilbo but William does have a point though I'd be more inclined to see Robin Hood!

Stephanie said...

What a delight to see that bridge and the path, looks so inviting for a walk.

Jack said...

It is a lush bridge and path.

Sharon said...

What an amazing find. I feel like if I was standing there I might be able to hear the horses and wagon wheels crossing.

Tanya Breese said...

oh i love that bridge!!