Thursday 1 September 2016

CDP Theme Day - Library

Coventry Central Library

Chess Anyone? That's the scene now.  
Quite different (I expect) to 
how it must have looked when
Chuck Berry recorded 'My Ding-a-Ling' right here
in 1972.  


In 1986 the library opened in premises that were formerly 
the Locarno ballroom and later Tiffany's night club.

Happily, there are some signs on display to share some of
the heritage of what is now a very quiet and peaceful library.


 ...and some photographs too.

Then (above) -
Now (below).



 On the first day of the month, members of the
City Daily Photo blog group
share theme day photos from Cities around the world.
To see more, please click the link - HERE.





13 comments:

Bev said...

I have played chess...but I'm not a fan:)

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Now that is what I call a Library with history

Stuart said...

I'm guessing the neighbors are happier now that it's a library.

Bill said...

That's cool that the library has a musical background.

Jackie McGuinness said...

How gorgeous!

Kate said...

Love a building with lots of windows and light~

William Kendall said...

What a switch in building uses. I like the openness of it.

Fun60 said...

Good to hear from you again. I imagine the building is well used now by all ages in the community.

Lowell said...

Welcome back and what a great venue for a library! It's a visually exciting place; perfect for a library!

Halcyon said...

How neat to have a library in a historical building!

RedPat said...

It seems to work very well as a library! What a cool history it has!

Gunn said...

I have not been to many libraries in the UK, but I have been to quite a lot of different bookshops.
Of course we have lots of bookshops here in Norway too, but big or small shops in England are high up on my list of places I go to whenever I am there.
Nice posting.

HAPPY WEEKEND!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Goodness not many libraries can boast such a rock & roll history Lauren 😊😊